Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Concerning ankle biters.

I am sitting at work winding down to the end of my first day of teaching. Wow, what a day. It certainly wasn't slow, I'll say that much for it. My replacement left yesterday so I was on my own for the first time with all of my classes. It started very well, I have a class of 6 yr olds that I adore. I had them rapt with attention discussing the uses of a hard "U" sound and we read a story about a dog. The next class, however, is filled with twelve five year olds and I suddenly made the transition from competent teacher to frazzled child wrangler. The school was demonic to give me a science project to do with that class that I could barely even do myself-- add in twelve demands for folding, cutting, taping, looking and whatever else that went over my head, and I didn't have a prayer. I had another phonics class with them that basically turned in to me pleading them to color the octopus and practice their Os while they wandered the class at random. I hope to make headway though...I implemented "one, two, three, eyes on me" when they have to clamp their lips shut and they kind of liked that, even if they don't get that it's supposed to last until I am finished talking. Lunch was a swap of the battle wounds that all of the new teachers have already sustained over the predictable rice, kimchi, mystery meat balls and very unsettling triple boiled, sauteed and and god-knows-what-else-ed quail eggs. At least it's free. After, I had my afternoon classes. The first I absolutely love, it's four students and they are all delighted to be there. Really cute. The next was a little comatose, jokes didn't go over too well. I haven't had the last yet, we'll see once we get there. BUT...and I regard this as quite the honor....I am already the recipient of not one, but TWO stickers from various students. I hope this is a mark of early favor that will continue to grow into full fledged adoration with any luck...but I will try and survive my first week before I bank on that.

It's nice to be busy and have a routine, I hit a low point over the weekend of having way too much time to think. Asteria and I distracted ourselves by going to see "My Life in Ruins" which was so so cute. I didn't even notice the subtitles. We move into our apartment tomorrow (YAY! Even if it is not the Taj Mahal, it is a space to take possession over and at least unpack, thank God) after work and we might not have internet for a little bit, so I'll email and post from work until that is up and running. Love from "Becky Teacher"!

1 comment:

  1. Yobosayo, Becky Teacher. An-nyo'ng ha-se-yo?
    Kamsa hamnida for your good reports.
    Anyonghee.
    Love,Grams

    ReplyDelete