Monday, February 22, 2010

Concerning wwwooooaaa we're half way there woooAA living on a prayer

Never make a point yourself when Bon Jovi can make it for you. Well kids, today is my six month anniversary. Things are going strong between Korea and me (yes that's grammatically correct). I think that at this point, the best way to describe my situation here is as follows. If England was my first love, Korea is my marriage of convenience. We were sort of thrown together...didn't entirely know what we were getting into...not quite a match made in heaven...but, an affection born of shared experience. We're not merely staying together for the kids (though it's a huge huge factor...), we've reached an understanding. Aaaand... metaphor ending now.

Rewinding from the big day, last week was just fine. Friday I had another good time at English club and met some more very nice Koreans. We had the same yummy yummy mandu afterword and went to a few bars. I had a really nice time talking to some of them and met a great guy who lived in Canada for a year. I realized I kind of miss that North American boistrous energy. He was more animated than most Koreans (though their quiet solicitousness has wormed its way into my heart and affections) and it felt like meeting someone from home. The next day I spent so so so so so long cleaning my apartment. It was bad. Seriously, even by my standards. So, I scoured from top to bottom in time for a lovely visit from Ella unni. I cooked more salmon and couscous and we had a nice little riesling I picked up. Most of the talk centered around the boys...that seems to be a universal mental pastime of women the world over. After sharing our particular gripes, she did my nails a la 12 year old slumber-party (and I loved it) and we went to get a piece of chocolate cake at the local Paris Baguette. I introduced her to "Pushing Daisies" and we talked and talked and talked some more. She also got me a faux Burberry headband, very sweet.

The next day I did have plans with a coworker but as they fell through, I was lazy lazy lazy. Woke up late. Ate pancakes and bacon. Talked to my family all gathered in Wisconsin. Watched Moulin Rouge. Then watched the entirety of North and South. Did my toes in an exciting salmon pink to combat the lingering vestiges of winter drear. Ate some ramen. It was good times. I think this was a good thing- this week is a little on the crazy side as G-Day (WHY didn't I think of that before?) is in 48 hours and a few days after that comes the grand changing of the students. Nice to rest up a bit.

I do have my new schedule and am fairly ambivalent about it- most days I get off at 5:30, that's good, Wednesdays I get off at 7, that's bad, I teach some of my Columbia 6 years as 7 years next year in UCLA, that's good, I lose some of the cutest, that's bad, I teach NYU (my 7 year old kindie) 5 days a week in the afternoon, that's good, I lose one of my afternoon classes that I've taught the whole 6 months including a fellow HP geek, that's bad. So, pretty much cancels each other out in a great big "meh." It could be a lot worse, I think I'm just going to have to wait and see and take my new students as they come. Worse comes to worst, I'll be able to furnish this blog with many a colorful story.

Actually, I am definitely more excited than not about the next 6 months. I came exactly half way through the school year so it then changes at my half way point. From March on, my new primary kindie (replacing NYU whom I adore and love) will be 8 7 year olds in UCLA. Of those 8 students, I currently teach Jaden, Emily, Natalie, and Daniel in Columbia. I'm sad to lose the rest of my kids but I'll still see them all the time so no point in acting too terribly bereft. Especially as my class is shaping up to be the smart one...woohoo! Haha. My other kindie class, replacing Columbia, is 6 6 year olds who speak precisely zero English in Brown. Well, they'll be darn cute regardless. I'm looking forward to seeing how their skills progress from scratch.

I feel like I should say something deep and meaningful seeing as this is the pivot of my Korean year. Here goes. When I went to England, I had such expectations of soul searching and horizon widening and people meeting and I was so beyond lucky to have them fulfilled. However, I tend to forget rather frequently how much that fulfillment was retrospective. When embroiled in an experience it's nearly impossible to keep hold of clarity so I think I have to trust that will play out in a similar manner this time around. All I can say is I'm happy. I take simple delight in my job and the unexpected personalities that I've sparked with. I am also unabashedly proud of myself for taking and sticking to an impulsive, out of character, and risky decision such as this. I do keep close count of the days and I will be ecstatic to click back into home. But, though I don't have the details nailed down yet, I know I'll be the better for having finished out the year.

I'm going to go celebrate my half way point with a big, juicy "Women Tell All" episode of The Bachelor. I guess wherever I go, I'm never that far from home and all the trashy American culture that goes with it, haha. Love you all! Look forward to waaaaaaay too many pictures and videos of my kids next week.

B


2 comments:

  1. Way to go Becky! We're so proud of you and look forward to seeing you up north this summer. Good luck with your classes. What's the buzz over there about the Olympics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I LOVE your metaphor!! You sound oh so literature-esque/sociological/gender studiable. Yes, I just made up that word. Plus, I love comparing things to marriage! Please don't only stay together for the children though... just for the next 6 months! Come to Thailand for a little break from the hubby--explore Sangliburi & the beautiful Brit I scoped out who's living there now...! So proud and impressed by you!!

    ReplyDelete