Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Concerning...GRADUATION!

OK, well rewind about three weeks. Graduation. I taught one class and then went straight to the kid's theater where we were holding the grand event. It was really really adorable, I walked backstage and was LITERALLY brought to the ground by a mob of sequined children screaming "BECKY TEEEEEEACHER." The entire 6 hours there was spent with a child hanging off of some portion of my body, I was their own personal jungle gym for the day. But, it was so so much fun. Columbia had these gold sparkly numbers on complete with a matching sequin boater hat. Wow. Just, wow. NYU looked fantastic in their individual prince and princess outfits going along with the "If I ruled the world" theme. I got there at 2 and the hours until 6 were spent riding the tide of mayhem and coercing some rehearsal out of the kids. The actual performances turned out so well. Columbia and Brown (all of the 6 year olds) did their pom pom dance in all of their golden glory, of which see the video below. Columbia also knocked out their introductions and song to great effect. NYU all remembered their speeches like champs. The one hilarious hiccup that happened was that mid sentence, Wendy all of the sudden crouched down and said "Toooooilet!!" in Korean...and promptly ran off the stage. Everyone cracked up and we just sort of kept on going and bless her heart, she made it back in time for the song. Leo ended up tunelessly shouting his way through the whole thing but it was a great, perfect cute kid moment. They were fabulous, I was beaming with pride. I got a rehearsal of the song on video as well and TOTALLY didn't realize that the camera had also gotten me singing until after the end...so you all get a treat of my wonderful voice nudging them on. And as it was a rehearsal, the peanut gallery was quite active so sorry about that. (Actually just enjoy the videos in general...the first one I say oh my god about 15 times and the second you can here me giving instructions and singing the whole second half...not ideal haha...). At the end, the teachers all went on stage to bow and Kamila and I got a ton of cheers hehe! Guess we're popular. It was a really nice day, mountains of affection from the kids and just playing around and celebrating what they've managed to learn. One of my kid's moms made me a hand made pecan tart and another got me some face wash. Very thoughtful. The school took us out to dinner afterword which was also very nice. Until....










No comments:

Post a Comment