Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Concerning... the shape of things

And now that brings me to now. I'm writing from the other side of the new school year. It was kind of devastating to lose my kids. When they announced the new classes, even though I'd already told Columbia who their teachers were, when it got to Kevin's class and they were drum rolling and saying "aaaaaand your teacher ISSS....." he looked up and said "Becky teacher...?" and when they announced another his face fell. I melted. And that same day downstairs, Noah looked at me, took my hand, and asked "Becky teacher teach NYU now?" and it absolutely broke my heart to tell him no. I swear these kids are giving me abandonment issues, I feel so guilty. Even today, a week in, it happened again twice that two of my old kids asked when I will teach them. Ugh! So sad! I still teach NYU (thank God) 5 days a week, though they're big and mature and worldly afternoon kids now, as they daily remind me. It's really comforting to see them, after graduation they had a week vacation to settle into elementary school and I felt so excited to see them again. Kindie-wise, things have changed a bit. I miss my old routine and my old classrooms...no more NYU and Columbia for me (though I do also teach 4 kids of the former 12 in last year's Columbia). This year, I have Brown and UCLA. Brown has just 4 kids, all 6 and all very new to English. So far I have taught them these words: colors, "good morning," "how are you?," "moving," "freight train," "lunch box," "back pack," "pencil," and the obligatory, "sit down!" They're really little and really cute. I named one after my sister Kelsey. I also named the boss' daughter after my sister Caitlin so they both have little namesakes running around the school. It was really funny today actually, one of the Brown students is a quirky girl who hasn't really deigned to listen to me much. I get the impression she really doesn't know English well but during class, she randomly got up out of her chair and regaled me with the song and dance of Mamma Mia's "Super Trooper" and "Dancing Queen" complete with disco arms and shimmies. So she can sing English, just not speak it. I died laughing.

UCLA is great. As I said, I have 4 of my old kids-- Natalie, Daniel, Emily and Jaden-- and 4 new ones from last year's Brown class-- Chris, Leo, Hannah, and Benny. They're fabulous, they are already so much more advanced than when I began teaching them in September. They understand moooost of what I say and finish their lessons easily. They still don't quite have the maturity to sit quietly for a whole lesson but we're getting there and I have a good group. They seem to really like me which is adorable.

Afternoon wise, it's a bit of a change. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I teach a LOT of remedial classes. Oh my gosh are those ever draining. Those classes are more like acting then teaching because I have to keep my energy up enough to entertain them into listening and learning even though they can't really understand any of what I'm saying. I feel like Harold Zidler from Moulin Rouge though obviously the school doesn't quite compare to a brothel. I do have a fantastic new afternoon class that has decided that they love me. They have so much enthusiasm and focus and maturity so yay! That one will be a breeze. I still have another afternoon class of mine that I've taught since I arrived so it is nice to retain some continuity. Those kids constantly crack me up- one girl told me my necklace looked like meat. I am currently reading them an abridged version of Frankenstein and they are SO into it. Book nerd as I am, I am all for the classics. Speaking of, I also have a tutor class which is only focused on reading so I get to teach him Harry Potter 4 and get paid for it. Love it. So, even though I have some challenges in store, there is a lot to be excited about in the coming months.
Not to be too melodramatic or self-indulgent but I feel like I have weathered my share of stuff here and I will have heartily earned any self-improvement or enlightened perspectives that drift my way through this year.

I had a busy weekend as well. After English club, I saw Alice in Wonderland 3D and was kind of disappointed. Yes, I love Johnny Depp and yes, I loved finding the nonsensical Victorian literature references but I thought the graphics and the plotline were a little clumsy. Saturday, I made my way to Seoul and met a coworker and a friend. We did some window shopping and then had a much needed burger for dinner. We were exhausted so we turned in early at our hostel and then got up at the oh so reasonable hour of 5 AM the next morning to make our tour pick up. After a 3 hour bus ride, we arrived at Chungmuro Lake and took a little ferry around. There were some moderately pretty rocks and wildernessish things and I enjoyed it for what it was. The water was also a pretty green color. After that, we went to Gosu cave which was kind of disorienting in its twisting up and down safari passage of walkways. There were some nice rock formations. Then, a peak at a famous trio of rocks in a nearby lake. Apparently, a man and his wife couldn't get pregnant so he took a mistress to father a child. But, everyone started fighting so the gods turned them all to stone. Two of the rocks are angled towards each other and one is apart, not sure which is the odd man (or woman, more likely) out. We clambered up this hill to a nice vista and then to a natural rock loop. Our reckless guide took us out on top of the stone loop and while it look safe...ish...it was not roomy. I got my picture and got right back down. A long bus ride back turned into a long train ride back which turned into a much needed bed.

So that's where I am now, you'll better understand why it took me so long to update this. I promise to be more faithful now that everything's in order.

Next up: a busy month of continuing to transition my kids, a couple of different dates with friends and MOM AND DAD coming in one month!

Love,

Becks

1 comment:

  1. Do the students also root for the associated college sports teams?

    ReplyDelete