Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Concerning...death served on a silver platter over a four day weekend

...until I got home. I was absolutely exhausted and thought that graduation had just worn me down so I ate a little and went to bed, but my stomach had an entirely different agenda set out for me. I spent the next 24 hours violently banishing anything and everything I had ever eaten in my entire life. I was absolutely miserable and obviously did not go to work that day. Through a skype convo with Nurse Mother, I found out it wasn't food poisoning, just the stomach bug from hell. As I had precisely no sleep Thursday night, Friday was spent crawling from the couch to my bed whenever my stomach allowed me a break. Friday night, after a grand finale of viral acrobatics, I slept for 18 hours. The next day I stayed stationary in one place and managed 3 crackers before heading to bed. The problem with that, however, was that those innocuous 3 crackers somehow managed to completely wake up my stomach to the fact that it hadn't eaten anything in over 48 hours. So, cue massive massive stomach cramps that were belatedly identified as hunger through a very miserable and very pitiful skype consultation with Mom. I had a very low moment trying to scramble myself some eggs at 2:30 in the morning to tame the cramps. It worked and I finally slept but by that point, I was thoroughly fed up with feeling ill. That weekend was seriously the sickest I have ever been in my life and the fact that it was half way around the world....well, let's say that my mom was my nurse and therapist all rolled into one that weekend. Sunday I felt a little better so I woke up and actually took a shower, big development. I went to E-mart for some groceries but unfortunately not eating for so long completely re-calibrated my senses. I felt like a pregnant woman but my smell was so ridiculously sensitive I had to run from the seafood section. I also was really overwhelmed by all of the people after what felt like my ages of hermitude. After getting home, I managed precisely 2 chicken nuggets and a yogurt before going back to bed. Monday, the notable development was that I actually ate 3 meals which was a big triumph. It was not a moment too soon as Tuesday, work started again. We had two light-ish days as the oldest kindies had graduated and the newest kindies weren't there yet.

Despite the light work load, Tuesday was interesting. That weekend reeeeeally weakened me. For someone who is usually pretty stable, it completely knocked me off my feet and made getting through the first workday back interesting. I had to sit down a few times but I did it, and the days after it were physically easier. I got my strength back pretty quickly. However, it did take me longer to bounce back emotionally. Obviously I was intensely homesick during the four days, as to be expected when you feel rotten, but it didn't subside as quickly as I thought. I had a pretty bad few days settling back into work because I was dealing with several downers at once. 1.) Being sick. Vulnerability like that really made me feel pretty darn alone here. I know I have friends and this is no reflection on them, but no one can replace the time tempered people who prop up your life. 2.) Changing of the guard. I wasn't really expecting this one as much, but I really really grieved losing my kids. More on this in the next blog post. 3.) Everyone was stressed out figuring out new books and classes and students. Almost my entire schedule changed. 4.) Half way point. This seems like it would be positive but up until now, I've been working towards the 6 month mark and charting my progress with pleasure- oh only 3 more months, 2, 1, yay we're here. But, now that it's over, my next big thing is going home and all of the sudden...I have 6 more months unfurled out in front of me. It should be fine, I can't say that I am not able to do 6 months here because I already have. But, the task of repeating the experiences I've already had here is daunting to say the least. Mainly, this all rolled into some pretty nasty culture shock. I had a little temper tantrum with Korea and was mainly frustrated with its foreignness all anew.

Thankfully, I had a better few days which has helped the whole thing. But that's the next blog...


No comments:

Post a Comment